Friday, July 13, 2007

13 July 2007-Officially... Magdelana Deluca

So the name is officially in the books. I guess it's okay that I have been calling you Maggie for the past couple months. Things are starting to settle down a little bit from what I hear. Your mommy and daddy have taken you to where you will most likely spend a fairly large part of your life. Although the initial introduction of you was probably the most proudest day of your parent's lives, and very very exciting for them, it's probably nice to finally be able to get some sleep and "move you in" and get prepared for life as parents. Your daddy has devoted much of the past nine months however doing just that, I don't think he will screw up too bad as a father.. If he listens to me. So it's friday night and I sit here staring out the window, immediately entering my head is the song from Fievel Goes West, the gist of the song, more or less, goes something like this:

And even though i know how very far apart we are
It helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star
And then the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby
It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky

Somewhere out there
If love can see us through

Then we'll be togethor
Somewhere out there
Out where dreams
Come true

Why does this song enter my head? Because It helps me in knowing that I'm not there with you. I feel like I have let you down quite a bit. For almost nine months I have talked about how excited I was to have you come and then I'm not there when you arrive. Great Uncle I am. I think I am going to silently sing this song to myself every night from now on until I come back home. Maybe it will help me, who knows. Basically what I'm saying here Maggie is that I miss you and I'm sorry I am not there right now. I know that you will grow up and insist on trying to assure me that it is not a big deal but I am afraid you will be wrong (don't worry though, I was wrong once too). It is a big deal to me, I really wish I was there. You have made me something that I have dreamed of for a long time, an uncle, and I am so excited to try and live up to the responsibilities of having that title. You are probably sitting on your fathers lap right now tooting away, little stinker. If I was there I'd probably chip in to make him upset, except he couldn't get upset because you're only a baby! Ha! Ha! Suck a duck (that's my new thing to say). Anyways, It's late so I have to go to bed. I'll try to write you tomorrow. Love you.
Uncle Jonny

No comments: